Monday, August 19, 2013

The life of Sister/Hermana Zubeldia

Dear Family! and Friends!!!

Thank you for the emails everyone.  I am so glad that you are having a fun time in New York, in Spain, starting school and being at grandma and grandpa's house.  I can't wait to hear from you guys again.

The sisters in my district

Zone conference, with the Zone Leaders

This week has been full of ups and downs. We didn't find as many people as we wanted to or have as many lessons as we had planned, but I did learn a lot his week.  I don't know why, but I was a little down.  Just when things feel a little down our prayers are answered just at the right time.  For me, this was Zone Conference.  The topic at Zone conference was all about Teaching by the Spirit and having Faith. The things that I learned at Zone Conference really helped me this week.  I know that prayers are answered everyday. Here are some of my notes:
  • Do the best you can and He will do the rest
  • Be happy - Enjoy Life - Its a Choice
  • Keep moving one foot ahead of the other each day.  We aren't going to be perfect, but if we are trying and using repentance we will be given help.
  • Don't compare yourself with others.  We are all on the save path moving in the same direction.
  • As we obey, we gain God's trust.
  • See the potential in others and have the courage to talk to them.  Don't deny others the opportunity to have the gospel.
  • When we have faith and have a true desire to share the gospel, we will have the power and will be guided to those who are ready to accept the gospel.
  • God is more invested in this work than we are.
  • "The Savior knows me.  He knows the people here.  He loves me and loves them.  And he has called me to share the love with his other children.  He called me here to Brentwood for a reason.  He knows the people here personally because he suffered for them, one by one."
After Zone Conference miracles started to happen.  We met with Nelson again this week.  We met Nelson last Thursday.  The story is that we were walking back to our car after an appointment didn't answer the door.  As we were walking, Nelson was in his house and his dogs started barking at us.  He opened the door to see who was on the street and there we were.  We took the opportunity (since my companions goal is to talk to everyone) and walked up to him.  We talked for a bit and he said we could come back and share a little bit more about our religion. He didn't really seem interested, but was nice and said we could come back.

On Wednesday we met with him for the third time.  We were talking about the doctrine of Christ and the five steps we need to do to get on the path to the Celestial Kingdom (1. Faith 2. Repentance 3. Baptism 4. Holy Ghost 5. Endure to the End).  The spirit was very strong during the lesson.  I haven't felt the spirit as much in a lesson here as much as I did in this lesson.  My companion asked him if he knew what we were saying was true.  He paused for a second, thought and then said, "Yes, I do."  At that moment, my companion looked at me and nodded.  The spirit was present and the time was right.  Nervous about what was going to happen next I took all the courage and faith I had and asked him If he would be baptized.  He paused and then said, Yes!!! I couldn't believe that he said yes.  His eyes were red and I knew that he was feeling the spirit tell him that it was what he needed to do. It was a miracle for us and a life changing moment for Nelson.
Nelson and Jordan at the Temple Visitors Center

As I look back at this last week and half of knowing him I have noticed a change in him.  He seems happier.  He has been praying and reading the scriptures.  Two days ago he texted us and said, "Laban is a jerk!"  Haha, its great to know that someone is reading the book of Mormon.  In over a week, he has gone from being very skeptic of the whole religious thing, not knowing who Jesus was, wanting physical proof of the bible to know reading the scriptures, praying and going to the temple with us yesterday!! Yes, we invited him to go to the Visitor Center with us yesterday and another one of our investigators who is getting baptized this Saturday. I know that he felt the spirit at the temple, especially as he heard the Christus, the prophets speak and watch the video on the family. 

After all the hard work, the dropped appointments and the people saying no, when you have moments like this, it makes all the mission work worth it.  When you teach a lesson and see the instant change in others, I know that our Heavenly Father loves us so much.  I find so much joy and excitement in seeing others feel the spirit and recognize it for the first time in their lives.  In D&C 18 it says, "How great shall be your joy when you bring one soul unto Christ."  I know that this is true. This experience was the first time I felt this love and joy in teaching others.  And I know that I am just His Instrument and its our Savior who is doing all the work through the Holy Ghost. 

View of the Bay from the Oakland Temple

We also went on two exchanges this week. During one of the exchanges we went to visit a referral we had gotten from the English Sisters.  While visiting with the man and his children, he stopped us halfway and said that we had a light about us and that we looked different.  He then invited us back to meet with him and his wife on Friday! I am excited to share more with them and help them come unto Christ! 

We also met a man from Wales.  When we told him we would get him the Book of Mormon in Welsh he got so excited! I can't wait to give it to him tomorrow. I know that he will read the Book of Mormon for sure since its in Welsh and there aren't many places you can get welsh books here.

We also went tracking at a Car show.  As we left our apartment we saw the show and took the great opportunity to talk to tons of people.  Not many were interested, but it was still sure fun.  We stopped this woman who is a minister in her church.  Her in-laws are Mormon, but her husband isn't. :(  she didn't let us talk much though. 
Yesterday when we were at the Visitor Center in Oakland I ran into my MTC teacher!! It was totally unexpected but it was really cool.  I knew that he was from Oakland but I never thought I would run into him.  He was caught off guard too.  His name is Hermano Bell.


Today is my Companions Birthday! Hermana McLaws in 22 years old! She was the first one up this morning and she opened up all the presents her family and friends had sent her. It sure was fun vacuuming up all the confetti that were in the boxes her friends sent.
Today for a Zone Activity we are going Bowling.  I'm not the best at it but it will be fun to do an activity with all the Zone.  I'll send pictures of it next week. :) Also, talking about pictures, papi, I am sending the passport pictures to you today.  You should get them in a couple of days.  If you need anything else, email me and let me know and I'll do it as soon as I can.  

And here are some cute pictures of our neighbors' children.



I love you so much!! Thank you for everything you have done for me! I loved getting your emails!!! and your updates!

Love,

Hermana Susana Zubeldia

No comments:

Post a Comment