Monday, August 12, 2013

Hi from Hermana Zubeldia


Hi family!!

Its so great to hear from you guys!! Have fun at Grandmas house! Have fun in NY!!! Have fun with your last couple weeks of summer!!

Well, This week has been really good. There have been its ups and downs but overall a lot of work was done and I smiled a lot. There are so many people who need the gospel but don't have any desire to change what they have. Its kinda sad, but I know that one day they will have the chance to receive the gospel again and to accept it. I was kinda discouraged yesterday after all of our appointments fell through and no one was wanted to hear what we had to say.


The picture is Hermana Cooper from my desk, during companionship study. This morning as I was studying in Preach My Gospel I read, "When people choose not to investigated the restored gospel, your work is not wasted. Your consistent efforts in serving and teaching as many people as you an is one way God prepared His children to eventually receive his servants... do not be discouraged... you have given them a clear choice... maintain a vision of who you are, and continue to diligently move forward." This was what I needed this morning! Day after day my prayers are answered. Usually I find answers in what I read and study each morning. Sometimes when Things don't happen and appointments fall through we always receive a miracle and find someone new who is interested in the gospel. And so even though many of our appointments fell through we found a lot of new investigators this week. A lot dropped us, but we got to hold on to a few :)

Because my companions want to talk to everyone we see on the streets we have had a lot of street contact investigators. I am breaking out of my shell and learning to approach people. Usually when we walk up to people we say hi, ask them if we can invite them to learn more about Jesus Christ, tell them who we are and ask them if they believe in God. Sometimes it works and people stop and talk, other times, they just walk by and say they are catholic or they aren't interested. Little by little I will learn how to contact people more effectively. :) One of the blessings of talking to everyone is when you find someone who is ready to hear the gospel.

We went to visit a less active this week. He wasn't home. As we walked back to the car, a young man opened his door and his dog almost ran out. And just like my companions always do they walked up to his house and started talking to him. And guess what?! We got a return appointment. And not just one, but we've met with him twice this week. His name is Nelson and he is 23. He had read a little of the Book of Mormon before and knew what it was about. When we followed up with him at the second lesson, he had read all of the introduction, the testimonies, and had started to read the book!!!

He has a lot of analytic questions about the creation, what we believe about Noah, about Jesus and all the physical evidences. Like my companion says, "he is an honest seeker of truth." We have another meeting with him tomorrow. Miracles happen. All we need to do is have faith and open our mouths and proclaim the gospel to all!


Kristen is our investigator. She is getting baptized on Aug 31. We took her to a baptism in the Singles Ward on Saturday so that she could see what her baptism will be like. She is so excited to get baptized :)

I am also learning how to listen to the spirit as I teach. Its harder to do it in Spanish but I know it will soon come as I keep trying. My MTC teacher told me that even thought it may be hard to teach in Spanish I need to remember that when I speak with the spirit, even if my Spanish is imperfect, the spirit will touch their spirit and translate what I said to their heart. We also had the opportunity to teach a woman named Andrea. Her family was in a car accident a month ago. They were all injured and she lost her unborn baby. She likes what she hears, loves when we sing, and thinks we were sent by god to share scriptures with her. She is a sweet woman with a tender heart. I hope that she will come to a knowledge that she needs the gospel.

One of the funnest street contacts happened on Friday.  Last Friday all of our appointments dropped (as did they all on Saturday and Sunday). We were with a member and she suggested we pray to find where we needed to go. After we prayed the member said, lets go somewhere with lots of people. We decided to go to the park where a concert was playing. We did splits and went separate ways to just invite people to learn more about Christ. It was so fun (and a little nervous/terrifying at first) to walk up to people and give out the small pass along cards. I talked to a lot of people who had been to see the temple before. I didn't get any numbers or appointments but I did learn to do street contact a little better that night. One of the people I had just talked to ran into my companions down the block and they got his number. he seemed interested and wants us to come over and tell him more. Miracles happen when you are doing what the Lord wants you to do.


We had a flat tire this week. We were coming home from a lesson around 9 pm with some members in our ward. On our way home we had the wonderful chance to get a flat tire. I know that I have seen papi chance a tire with the scouts before but I have never done it in real life. Since none of us knew exactly how to do it (though collectively we probably could have done it ourselves) we called the zone leaders to help us. They changed the tire and we were off, not getting home till 9:45, 15 minutes after curfew. I guess it was okay since the Zone leaders were also with us and they knew what had happened. We had to get a new tire the next day and sit on the curb and study while we waited.

Answers to questions:

1. Usually on P-day we email, buy food, write letters, do laundry and then teach later at night. Today we washed our car because we have zone conference tomorrow.  My companions said that the car really needed to be cleaned since it had been 3 months since they last washed the car. Honestly, even after we washed the car it looked the same as before, but with water marks all over it. I hope it rains tonight so that we don't have to wash it again tonight. It probably wont though since I've heard it rarely rains here. :)


2. Yes, my sheets are perfect! They are nice and soft and even though I don't have the fitted sheet, its big enough to just tuck in.

3. No, we never eat fast food. My companions want to eat healthy and so we eat all our meals at our home. We take turns cooking or fixing the meals. This week, we had brown rice with soup, spaghetti, sandwiches, soup, oatmeal for breakfast with either fresh fruit or yogurt with oatmeal. They are keeping me well fed. I can admit that I have had sugar cravings all week, but my companions keep each other in check. Also, we usually have one meal each day at a members house. At church they pass around a calendar for the month and people sign up for each day. Yesterday, we ate dinner with a member from Peru. She served us homemade lasagna and Arroz con leche. I love having a mix of Latin American food and American food.


A lunch we had. Yes, we are trying to eat healthy at our apartment :)

4. Papi, the water bottle that you got was one that the MTC gave to me. I still have the one that we bought. Give the water bottle I sent home to one of the boys!

5. No, I haven't give a talk yet in church. I don't think they will ask me since our ward is pretty big. The picture below is our Stake Center.


***Family (and friends) I want to challenge you to be missionaries to everyone! I know that members can be the best missionaries. We had so many lessons this week with members. They added so much to the lessons. Go out and help the missionaries teach. Invite them to dinner. Give them referrals. The best investigators are the ones that members refer to us. The three secrets to be a successful missionary are:
1. Smile
2. SMILE
3. Smile!
Be happy! Everyone is looking for happiness. Let them see how happy you are and they will be attracted to the light that you have. As we prepare ourselves and pray for opportunities to share the gospel people will be put into our paths. All we need to do is to follow the gospel and our steps will be guided. It doesn't matter really where you go, "for it matthereth not where you go."(D&C 80:5) There are so many opportunities around you, just reach out with faith and you will have them. I have seen this work all week, every single day!

I love you guys so much! Thank you for your prayers and support. Missionary work is definitely work, but it is so much fun! I have had a great week!

I can't wait to hear from you next week! Have a fantastic week! Keep smiling and remember that as you do what is right you will always be guided to where our Heavenly Father wants you to be.

Hermana Zubeldia

No comments:

Post a Comment